Monday, February 14, 2011

My First Live Dance

Art in SL is something all its own. I am a big fan of those who use this virtual space to express themselves and to provoke the senses of such a vast and diverse audience. That we have so much at our disposal in this metaverse opens up a wealth of human potential and I'm excited to watch our artistic futures unfold here. 

Through a twist of good fortune, I learned about an upcoming dance adaptation of Narnia, performed by The Dramatiques Performance Troupe. Even today as I reflect on what I viewed yesterday, I'm left with a great satisfaction. Animation is what quite literally moves us in SL and dancing seems to be getting more and more sophisticated as more animation artists and choreographers hone their skills. Narnia appeared to me a perfect example of SL technology at its best.

The Patch Thibaud Auditorium on Couture Boulevard provided an ethereal ambiance that suited the performance well. At one point, while the audience was getting situated, I counted 44 in attendance, but I know there were ultimately more.

(You can click to enlarge all of the following pictures)



Before Narnia began, we were treated to a short routine, Romeo and Juliet. The ambition of the scenery paid off, creating a more vivid setting than real life could naturally provide.



Already the motions of the dancers were stunning to me. Phenomenally synched, each movement was executed gracefully and on point.

And then Narnia began.


From here on out, I'm just going to post pictures to let the dancing and scenery speak for itself. I tried really hard to narrow down my shots but, really, it's hard to do justice to a live virtual dance performance with just a few quick shots.








The entire White Witch scene was mesmerizing.






After the performance, the cast welcomed us to a champagne reception on the property. When they announced that they will begin touring Alice in Wonderland in April, I eagerly subscribed to their update group. I'll see you there!

1 comment:

  1. Mathilda !
    Your pictures are wonderful ! You really captured the best moments !

    SUBSCRIBED !

    ReplyDelete